A fresh coat of paint inside your home can refresh your space, transform your décor, and provide a much-needed change. However, painting is a lot of work. You need to select paints, prepare the surfaces, and wait for the paint to dry before the room is habitable again. While there are so many benefits to a fresh coat of paint, it’s not something that you want to do unless you absolutely have to.
So how often should you paint the inside of your house? Read on to learn more about how often you should paint each room and more.
How Often Should I Paint the Interior of My House?
Deciding how often to paint the interior of your house depends on the room. You probably don’t need to paint every single room of the house at once; different rooms have different painting requirements.
Follow the guide below to see how often you need to paint each room in your home. It is important to note, however, that you should paint more frequently if the walls are in poor condition or the home has recently been renovated or updated.
- Your bedrooms don’t need to be painted more than once every 5 to 10 years; since this room is typically used for sleeping, there isn’t much opportunity for the paint to get scuffed or worn down. However, you may want to paint it more often if the room serves more than one purpose. For example, if it doubles as a playroom or your home office, you may want to paint it every five years to reduce wear and tear.
- Living areas, such as the family room, living room, and dining room, don’t need to be painted more than once every five years. The amount of furniture in these rooms usually does a pretty good job of providing some protection to the walls. However, since these rooms are centrepieces of the home, you may want to paint them more often to match new décor or refresh your aesthetic.
- High-humidity rooms, such as the kitchen and the bathroom, should be painted once every 3 years; the humidity level in these rooms makes paint peel more easily. However, if you use a paint specially made to last in bathrooms and kitchens, the paint can often last longer.
- It is important to keep a close eye on hallways and trim. These areas are prone to scuffing and build up; you should consider painting your wall trim and hallways every 3 years.
Does Painting the Interior of Your House Add Value?
One situation when you may have to paint the entire interior of your home is when you’re moving or selling your home. You might wonder – what’s the point? Does painting the interior of your house actually add any extra value?
The answer is yes, it can. While there is the potential for the dollar value to improve, it’s more likely to prove your home’s value to potential buyers. People who are looking to purchase a new home are looking for good condition; freshly painted walls affirms that the home is well taken care of and move-in ready.
Having your home freshly painted can also help your house to sell faster, as potential buyers will be pleased that this isn’t something that they have to undertake themselves. You can read more about painting your home before selling in our blog post here.
Should I Paint My Own House’s Interior?
Now that you know how often you need to paint the interior of your home, the next step is deciding whether you want to paint it yourself or whether you want to hire painters. There are some major advantages to hiring professionals to paint your home.
- Painting is a big undertaking, especially if painting your home isn’t something that you do frequently. Between gathering the materials, preparing the space, and doing the actual painting, you have a time-consuming project on your hands. Hiring painters means bringing in a team of experts who know how to efficiently paint the interior of your home.
- Reduces stress. Painting can be very overwhelming, especially if you’re doing it yourself. If you’re selling your home, it can be especially daunting when you have so much on your plate already. Hiring professionals gives you peace of mind knowing that the walls will look amazing without any extra labour on your part.
- Painters have all of the materials needed to paint your home. You won’t have to worry about any sanding, priming, or setting up painter’s tape. Painters also know the best paint to use in each room, so you won’t have to return to the paint store because you don’t have the right finish or colour.
- They’re professionals for a reason. The right painting company will help you to achieve your vision and keep your walls looking their best for a long time.
The Hemlock Painting Advantage
When it comes to painting your Vancouver home, you want to make sure that you’re hiring the best possible painters. Hemlock Painting has years of experience providing high-quality painting throughout your home. We strive to provide you with a paint job that is efficient and professional, eliminating stress so that you can focus on enjoying your freshly-painted home.
Hemlock Painting provides interior and exterior painting services throughout the Lower Mainland; book your free estimate with us today!